Search Result
By Category
Show on Map
Moment in time
  • Golden Hill Fort
    The lovely yellow laburnum bushes growing on the hill gave the name to this..
Sponsored
On the map

History Mills, Weirs Industrial Power

Towngate Mill (Corn)

REF NR: 810

'9 August 1695      -      Lease for 99 years by the mayor, etc., of Newport, to John Bush of Newport, miller of two corn water mills called the Town Gate mills, one a wheat mill the other a malt mill, at the northern end of the Borough of Newport. 

[ NBC/1/94 ]

 

 


'12 OCtober 1753      -  Assignment of lease: of a piece of land, part of a garden plot belonging to Town Gate mills, Newport, extending 65 feet in length from the river southward to the brewhouse of (2) and measuring 7 feet wide at the north and 5 feet wide at the south. Recites original lease of Town Gate Mills, being one corn mill and one malt mill with all ponds, parcels of ground, garden plots, etc., 9 August 1695, from Mayor, Aldermen and Chief Burgesses of Newport to late John Bush of Newport, miller, for 99 years; erection by John Bush of a stable and malthouse on part of the land and his assignment of it by will to his grandson Andrew Pyle. Further recites assignments, 26 February 1711/12, to Thomas Gill of Newport, surgeon and Mary his wife, 5 April 1714, to William Tutten and Jane his wife, 27 January 1727/28, to Robert Stairs, and 23 May 1729, to Robert Judd. Recites will of Robert Judd bequeathing life interest in the lease to wife Elizabeth and after her death to grandson James Judd. Finally recites death of Elizabeth Judd and agreement between (1) and (2) for annulment of transaction by James Judd when he comes of age if dissatisfied. Consid: £10 10s. od.

(1) James Robey of Carisbrooke I.W., miller. Surviving executor of will of late Robert Judd of Newport, miller.
(2) Thomas Holmes of Newport, Esq.  

[ JER/HBY/30/1 ] [ Ex HBY/152]

'20 December 1758      -    Lease by the mayor, etc., of Newport to James Judd, of two corn water mills called the Town Gate mills, together with the tenements, etc., belonging, and also all the wheels, flood hatches, banks, ponds, etc., appurtenant to the said water mills.

[ NBC/1/352]

'10 June 1774     -  Lease by the mayor, etc., of Newport to James Judd, of two corn water mills called the Town Gate mills, together with the tenements, etc., belonging, and also all the wheels, flood hatches, banks, ponds, etc., appurtenant to the said water mills.
 [NBC/1/447]
 

'26j-27 July 1825      -  Lease for a year and release of Town Gate Mills, Newport, two freehold corn water mills, Newport Incl. Messuages, land, a meadow etc. Consid 5s.

(1.) R.H.Charles Lord Yarborough, Baron Yarborough of Yarborough, Lincs William Mount, esq., of Wasing Place, Berks. Robert Clarke, esq of P. of Carisbrook. Thomas Sewell, esq of Newport Trustees of the late Sir Leonard Thomas Worsley Holmes, Bart, deceased.
(2.) Francis Worsley, gentleman of Newport.

[ELD87/38/5/4-5]

Mill Gate

'16 July 1870     -  Conveyance of a water corn mill called Town Gate Mill and other premises and land in Newport. Consid: £1,000

(1.) Robert William Daniell, gentleman of Northwood
(2.) William Baker, yeoman of Churchills p. of Shalfleet
(3.) James Alfred Mew, gentleman of Newport

It ceased working in 1939 and was demolished in 1998.


The main mill building is rectangular, and stands at an angle to the main road, so that with its associated storehouse, there is a small mill-yard between the buildings and the road. The mill building is two-storeyed with a further roof storey for storage. The walls are made of brick, and judging from the jointing of the bricks, the mill appears to have been extended at least once. The gable fronting the road has neen altered to give the shop a window, and the sack door on the floor above has been replaced by a glass-panelled door. The storehouse is two-storeyed also, and carries a  date stamp of “J-D 1836” over the entrance.

From the remains of the wheel space, the wheel must have originally been breast-shot, and have been 12 feet in diameter and 6 feet wide. There were probably three pairs of stones.2

The mill building was a furniture store but was sold circa 1978 and been replaced with a row of houses during the end of the 20th century

Source Moderator: Roy Richardson - The Mills of the Isle of Wight. J. Kenneth Major. Charles Skilton Ltd. 1970

HELP