Now demolished - the station was cleared in the early 1970s and for many years the site was used as a mid-town car park. A Co-Op supermarket has now been built on the site but some of the car park area is still there. The footbridge however was dismantled and rebuilt at Medstead & Four Mark Station on the Watercress Line in Hampshire.
The orginal station had three platform faces on two island platforms, linked to a rear concourse. The fourth platform face was used only for goods traffic. There were two further sidings on the north side of the station. The footbridge did not link the two platforms, it maintained public access between Terminus Road and Cross Street which was cut when the station was rebuilt in 1891. The track layout was again altered in 1918.
Because of its poor site, well away from the ferry terminal, the station never attracted the expected traffic of the original designers.
Images courtesy of Nick Catford.