The station was opened as Haven Street and was renamed Havenstreet on 9.6.1958. The original station had a single platform. A siding was later added to serve a small gasworks opposite the station. Although the gasworks closed in the 1920's the siding remained in use. In July 1926 a new crossing loop was installed by the Southern Railway running behind the platform. The original station buildings were removed at that time. A new brick building was constructed alongside the line.
The station was reopened in 1971 and is now the headquarters of the Isle of Wight Steam Railway. An enthusiastic band of volunteers, build, maintain and run throughout the year steam-ups and special open days all promoting the great Age of Steam.
The present line runs from Wootton through to Havenstreet, the main station on the line and then through old Ashey halt and onto Smallbrook station. Here the traveller can change trains to the Electric line of Ryde to Shanklin.
The Age of Steam